Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The 2012 Holiday post

We had a nice Christmas this year, nothing over the top, just nice.  To start off, I did not host Ed's work Holiday party at the house so I did a lot less decorating, baking, and there was less stress on me.  We still put up 2 trees, the fake one and the real tree.  Ava's break was 13 days this season which I was DREADING.  Cameron just had off between Christmas and NY.  Overall, it wasn't too bad...there were 2 days after Christmas that I wasn't sure we would all survive in the house together, but we managed.

We went to Lancaster the weekend before Christmas to celebrate with the family.   Both Molly and Ava got disco balls and twirling ribbon, and Ava also got several new dance CD's (I know, CD's are so 2005 according to daddy) so we watched MANY dance routines at both the family party and at home over break.  Cam got more trucks to keep him busy over the weekend and hold him off a few more days until Christmas.

 Things are still fuzzy about the break, but Mimi came down to our house 2 days before Christmas and stayed at least 4-5 days.  I have to say that Christmas Eve this year was wonderful.  It was (in my eyes) way better than Christmas day, but I also did not spend the last few months waiting for Santa to bring me presents.  The kids were off the wall Christmas Eve day.  We spent the afternoon outside even though it was cold, built a fire in the pit and made s'mores with Christmas music playing outside.
 The fire lasted into the evening and it was the best fire daddy has made yet.  The only next best thing that could happen did...it snowed!!

We got a good coating of snow while waiting for Santa to come by on the truck.  He was an hour late this year, he usually arrives at 6, and this year it was after 7. Cameron refused to come inside, he was freezing and covered in snow, but he was so worried he would miss Santa.  He actually peed his pants while waiting outside.  UGH.  Anyhow, so much excitement and anticipation.  They were sad that Sparkles the elf would be leaving after they went to sleep.  Cameron really quizzed us on just how Santa was going to come down our chimney AND get back up and out onto the roof.  I'm not sure how long we'll be able to make up those explanations!  Finally they were tucked in by 8:30.  Cameron was really concerned Santa's bells, the 'jingles' would wake him up.  He said, 'I don't want to hear those jingles!'.  I think he also had some fear of a strange fat man coming into our house in the middle of the night.

With the kids in bed, Mimi and I got to work on one of the two 1000 piece puzzles we put together over the holidays.  The neighbors came over for some wine and helped with the puzzle until 11.  This year I had all of the presents wrapped before Xmas eve so it was great to relax.

The kids were up by 6:30, Ava work up Cam.  They ripped through the presents in 15 minutes and that was it!  It was over :)  Not quite like that, but by 10 a.m. everyone was tired and cranky.  Ava's big gift was her American Girl doll and Cameron got the Polar Express train.  The train was a last minute fire drill.  I had another train for him, but several days before Christmas he actually sat and watched The Polar Express movie with us without freaking out on the scary parts.  After the movie it was in his head that train was the ONLY thing he wanted for Christmas.  I even had to help him write it down for Santa (hand over hand writing, he is not that good yet!)...
 The train was sold out almost everywhere, I finally found it on Lionel's website and spent a small fortune on 2 day shipping.

The tree all ready for Christmas Day.

The kids right before they opened their gifts.  They hate pictures, especially when there are dozens of presents at their feet, unopened!!  Notice it's still dark outside!
And that was it.  It was great, but it's over :)




1 comment:

  1. Patty! I just about spit my water out laughing at poor poor Cam waiting for Santa and peeing his pants. it is so NOT funny but man...kinda funny. Wow. The anticipation of that man on a truck is AMAZING!! I loved reading your christmas description! How amazing! Miss chatting with ya. Soon?

    ReplyDelete