Ava has no idea (at least I don't think she does) what the words boyfriend/girlfriend mean, and I want to keep it that way for a long time :) Saturday, while we were attending yet another Kindergarten birthday party, one of the other moms and I overheard lots of giggling at one of the tables, coming from 2 or 3 boys, and there was some mention about 'she has 2 boyfriends' to 2 of the other girls who were quietly sitting and eating their cake. Both girls looked completely uninterested in the boys' silliness. I realized then it won't be long until Ava picks up on all of this on the playground, which makes me a little sad, and this is why.
Two summers ago (when she was only 3 1/2) she became best buds with an adorable boy at summer camp. Apparently Ava and J played together quite often, and when I would pick her up from camp she would yell out the window to him..."I love you J, see you tomorrow". He would reply back..."I love you too, Ava" All completely sweet, innocent, kind stuff. She was invited to his birthday party at the end of summer, they were inseparable there as well, but as we drove away from the party, I knew we might never see him again. He lives in a different school district and at that time was attending a different preschool than Ava was. Bye-bye J...sniff, sniff.
Fast forward to the week before Kindergarten, back in September, I took Ava and Cameron to the park and I suddenly hear a little boy calling Ava's name, over and over. It was J! He didn't forget her over the last year! They hugged and ran off playing like their friendship didn't skip a beat. I talked to his grandma, who was there watching him and she informed me he was going to be held back for another year of preK, like so many summer b-day boys are, and would be attending a local Catholic school. Ava was really sad to leave the park that day, asking over and over when could she have a playdate with him, and telling me how much she missed him. Sad :(
Now October. Ava is in Kindergarten, loving it. She comes home to tell me the class is getting a new student on Monday...and his name is J! What? J??? Then it became very confusing, the more questions I asked her, the more strange stuff she would say (nothing new). The same J you know, I asked? No, she said...well, maybe, yes, it was him. The J from camp. But this J had just moved into town her teacher said. So, no, not the same one. What? Huh? I gave up. A week later I checked out some photos of the class on FB and there he was!!! In her classroom. I was WAY more excited than she was. It was meant to be :)
Anyhow, they have reunited and are still just as happy with each other as they were 2 years ago in summer camp. I love it because it is so sweet and I want it to stay that way, but it won't. She tells me she loves him, he would never be mean to her, that when the other boys get rough, J would never do anything like that to her, he would never hurt her. Apparently he calls her 'sleeping beauty'! HA. But as we all know, eventually he will want to hang out with the boys and do more and more 'boy' stuff. There will be hurt feeling and their innocent relationship will change. But for now, I will enjoy the sweetness of these best buddies.
No comments:
Post a Comment