Friday, August 19, 2011

Down the Drain

When Ava was Cameron's age she started to give me a really hard time about getting a bath.  She did not want to get in the tub, and once she was in she refused to sit down.  She cried, sometimes completely freaking out like she does, but she would never tell us what was wrong.  I just assumed (after Googling 'toddlers and fear of the bathtub drain') that that was what her issue was.  We bathed her standing up for what seemed like months at the time, but I really don't remember how long it lasted.  I don't even remember how she overcame her fear of the dreaded tub drain, I just know that she now loves to take a bath.

Fast forward to Cameron.  6 weeks ago he would get in the tub without an issue, sit and play with toys.  4 weeks ago he would get in, but threw the toys out of tub.  I assumed this was just another little-naughty-boy thing he was doing to test me.  Now...it's sheer panic when I start the bath.  Even if the bath is for Ava he FLIPS OUT.  He screams and cries "Ava down the drain, Ava down the drain!!!".  Poor thing!  If anything is in the tub...a washcloth, cup, or toy it's even worse.  He knocks things off of the side of the tub onto the floor because they are still too close to the drain!

Needless to say, bathtime is awful right now.  Cameron has to wait in another room while Ava bathes, and he still has a nervous breakdown.  Ava loves to show him how she can stick her hand IN the drain and says, "look Cam...nothing is happening to my hand and it's IN the drain!"  REALLY????....why does she have to torment him more.  Cameron does get a bath every other night.  He stands in the back corner of the tub and screams bloody murder.  It sounds like I'm pouring burning hot water over the poor kid.  I wish I could make it better for him, but like Ava, I guess he has to outgrow this fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment