It's October, we have the first month of kindergarten and preschool under our belts. September was awesome. I had envisioned Ava coming home from kindergarten completely exhausted and having uncontrollable meltdowns over the slightest things...sobbing, crying, can't-pull-herself-together meltdowns. As for Cameron, I pictured myself dragging him into the car for preschool drop-off, yelling, crying and kicking. But in September, none of this happened.
Then and now:
Ava: For the last month she came home from school happy, smiling, telling me lots of bits and pieces about her day. She entertained HERSELF after school, playing school, re-enacting activities she did throughout her school day. She acted like a mature 5 year old. Almost every day she earned her buttons (her rewards for the behavior modification program we have her on) without any problem. Life was great for her and I (oh...and for Cameron). But now it's October, and everything has fallen apart. She comes home tired and ready to pick CONSTANT fights with Cameron over anything and everything. She's so mean to him, and getting smart with me. She still loves school, is ready to go in the morning, and is every excited about her day when I pick her up...but once she steps foot in the house, it all crumbles. Every night she is in bed, lights out, by 8. Maybe it needs to be 7?
Cameron: For the most part, Cameron was excited to go to his 'stool' for the first 2 weeks. He told me he would miss me when he got out of the car, but went into school without crying. Unfortunately, he's already missed 2 days of school due to strep throat which really messed up the little routine he had going for him. At the end of last week he cried at drop off both Wednesday and Friday, but just a few tears. Today he screamed! He wailed, kicked, and screamed from the time I carried him out to the car to go to school, all the way there, and all the way into the classroom. His teacher (who had to carry him in) said he laid on the floor for about 5 minutes, then got up to participate.
This is where we are right now. I hope it gets better. I think (HOPE) Cameron will become more comfortable separating from me and want to go to school. He's happy when I pick him up which is a good sign. Ava...well, she's always a challenge. Maybe it's just a bad week, and she'll pull herself together. I'll just have to wait and see.
No comments:
Post a Comment