Ava and I spent yesterday afternoon at yet another preschool birthday party. It was a nice, mild Saturday afternoon. A great day to be outside, especially after such a cold and snowy winter. I was not exactly looking forward to being inside. She has been invited to 3 parties in the last 2 months and since this is the only one I decided we would attend I was fine with it. Plus, Ava loves to see her friends and climb and jump at Bounce U, where this party was being held.
Growing up I only remember attending a few birthday parties and they were always at my friends' houses, nothing elaborate. Since Ava started preschool at 2, she has been invited to several princess ballet parties AT the ballet studio, a party on the New Hope train, parties at the bounce house, and parties at the local gym. Whatever happened to having a few friends over for cake and ice cream? All of these parties have been very cute and entertaining for her, but they must cost hundreds of dollars for the parents, and are the kids really going to remember these parties at 2 and 3 years of age?
Ava's birthday is in July, so we have 'lucked out' on the big party so far. The last 2 years we have family birthday parties at the house. Her cousins come, we have a pretty cake, pretty flowers, and I try to coordinate good food. She loves this, she loves her cousins and her extended family, which makes me so happy that she has been content with this plan. But I know the time will come, maybe this year when she turns 5, that she will want a big party...with trains, or ballet studios, or bounce houses.
It's only March so I have time to plan. I'm hoping I can still get away with only a few preschool friends, maybe still have the party at our house...or maybe we can venture out to the local pool or bowling ally. We'll see. Ed and I will make sure it's special for her (within reason).
On a side note about Cameron. His vocabulary is really coming along. A nice change from listening to 'uh', the sound he made...and still uses...for everything. Anyhow, right now my favorite is 'pees' (please) in this adorable little voice and cute face that he makes when he says it. 'Tank ou' (thank you), 'pum' (come), 'Ah-va' (Ava). Need to get those on video.
No comments:
Post a Comment