Sunday, May 27, 2012

Potty Time

He's 3 years, 5 months and it's time.  Cameron needed to get out of diapers.  So, this week I (along with the help of Mimi) tackled potty training.  I was DREADING this.  I've heard boys are no walk in the park when it comes to stopping their play to use the potty.  Ava was 2 years, 10 months and it happened practically overnight.  I can remember 1, maybe 2 accidents and that was it.

So here it is...we laid out the bowl of M&Ms, bought Thomas and Spider-Man undies, and a Cars potty.  I had a Gorden engine and caboose waiting for the first pee, and an Edward train waiting for the first poop.


So this is how it went down.  We put on the undies as soon as he woke up and really talked up the whole thing.  By 10 a.m. he had soaked 4 pairs of undies, 2 T-shirts, AND pooped once in his pants.  UGH.  The added bonus to all of this was that my dryer died the night before.  I wanted to give up....I was done.  Soaking wet, soiled clothes and rags and no dryer.  I ran out to Lowes, bought a new dryer and when I got back Mom suggested that maybe I try this another time.  It just did not seem possible to have mounds of peed and poo soaked clothes and no way to dry everything.  She went out to the grocery store and while she was gone something clicked in Cam's little head and he screamed...."It's coming, I have to pee!".  We raced to the potty and he peed.  He was SO happy with himself.  It was noon, only 4 hours after we started.  He did not have another accident for the next 36 hours (not including nap and bedtime).  The following morning he pooped in the potty!!  He went to school in big boy undies and no accidents.  I was completely shocked.  I sent in 2 pairs of extra clothes and undies and a pull-up just in case they had enough of the puddles.  But not needed!  Yeah!

So...it's day # 4.  He's peed at a friend's house and at Ava's tennis lessons today with success.  There have been a few accidents, I certainly expect that.  But overall I'm shocked by his cooperation and ease with using the big potty for #1 and #2!  Way to go little guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment