Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Our ski season
It's almost May but I still need to finish winter posts. The best thing about this past winter was that we are now a skiing family. Everyone skis! Given that Cameron is not the most cooperative or patient 5 year old, I was not going to put him on skis this year. He was not interested. Fine by me. Over Christmas break we rented a house in the Poconos for 4 days. Mom came along and the cousins made it up for 2 days. Ava, Ed and I skied one day in sunny, 40 degree weather, and later on that afternoon we met up with the cousins and Cameron for a few hours of snow tubing.
Cameron really liked snow tubing, it was SO fast, scary fast. Molly, Ava and Riley loved it. The following day it rained, so that was the end of skiing. We kept busy with games, puzzles, and electronic devices. It was just nice to be away.
Fast forward to President's Day weekend. We rented another house in the Poconos for a long weekend. With a big snowstorm headed our way, we literally called the realtor hours before the storm started and asked if we could get the house that night (Wednesday night) instead of Friday night. There would be no way to make it up there right after the storm and we wanted to ski in some fresh powder...a rare occurrence in PA. He packed in about 2 hours, crammed in the Jeep...mom included...and headed up. It started to snow an hour after we arrived and continued to snow for the next 24 hrs.
IT WAS AWESOME! 2 feet of fresh snow by Friday morning. A beautiful rental across from the lake. Just perfect. And the best thing...as we are getting dressed to ski Friday morning, Cam wants to come along too!! He wants to ski!
We got to Jack Frost and it was windy and barely 20 degrees, but the sun was out. Ava and I skied while Ed worked with Cameron. A one point I looked over on the slope beside the one Ava and I were on and saw Cam laying down, on his back crying. I knew this was not good. As expected, he hated it. But, Ava and I met up with them about 30 minutes later and Cam was upright and skiing. He loved it! He was SO proud of himself, he could make it down the bunny hill. I took over and skied with him and Ed took a break and went off with Ava to hit the more challenging hills that Ava loves.
Cameron was just so cute, the little skis, the helmet. He took his time, yelling 'pizza pie' on his way down. He told ME what I needed to do to get on and off the lift, where I needed to stand in line. He was over the moon happy with himself. What a confidence booster. He cried when it was time to leave. What a wonderful (and VERY cold) day.
Saturday it continued to snow another 6 inches throughout the day and he was ready to go again! Ava, Mimi and I dropped them off at Big Boulder and we headed over to the indoor waterpark where Ava got to swim for a few hours. It was 4 wheel driving all the way there, the roads were covered and the snow kept falling. Cameron skied for another 4 hours, in the snow, with Ed. Amazing!
We picked them up on our way back from the waterpark and again, he cried when it was time to leave the mountain.
The following day we all skied again at Big Boulder, meeting friends of ours for the day. Once again, another great...and very cold (20ish) day on the slopes. Ava and her friend are perfectly paired, and Ed and I took turns skiing with Cam. He refused to pose with us for a family photo, but I guess you can't ask for everything to work out perfectly.
This was such a great vacation, from the timing of the snowstorm, to the fact that Cameron accomplished something that has made him a more confident and proud little boy. We took two more day trips to the Poconos, one to Big Boulder, and one to Blue Mountain. Our last trip was March 16th, great to ski so late in the season. We all can not wait for next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment